Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• andr3wl December 14
  • bddavidson December 15
  • bmxholden1 December 15
  • branch0095 December 14
  • CARramrod958 December 15
  • dunlap13 December 14
  • footballjunkie December 15
  • garyzab December 15
  • hawk12 December 14
  • ravenlunatics December 14
  • Smitty December 14
  • TexasBornCowboysFan December 14
  • TheHuddle December 15
  • ump December 14

Tagged

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12119
  • bddavidson 11183
  • JRMRRT 10916
  • Wutthecrapman 9591
  • BuckysGT 7542
  • LukeB5301 7163
  • garyzab 7017
  • Smitty 6352
  • TBL 4463
  • branch0095 3945
  • fontaines 3939

Who's Online (7)

• k0wned 4:51PM
  • kethnaab 4:53PM
  • pemo 4:52PM
  • Smitty 4:53PM
  • SweetLew 4:53PM
  • tmoney 4:52PM
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie 4:52PM
Homepage | Articles | Rankings | Projections | Start Bench | Calcs | Forums | Terms | FAQs - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
  • Dynasty Only!!!
Keenan Allen Ranked No. 9 on Dynasty Rankings?
  • SmittySmitty
    Keenan Allen Ranking in Dynasty
    1. Is Keenan Allen too high at No. 9 on DC's Dynasty Rankings?33 votes
      1. Yes, too high!
        54.55%
      2. No, he is that good or better!
        45.45%
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder | DraftCalc.com
  • bmxholden1bmxholden1 December 14
    I like it! Allen is special and only 21
  • bddavidsonbddavidson December 14
    stud!
    DC Nation Moderator
  • andr3wlandr3wl December 14
    He can ball!!! Stud.
  • ravenlunatics December 14
    Love him but the community is too quick to annoint players. Looks at TRich and Martin rankings last year. Following those projections to just that, projecting too much.

The community needs a tier based ranking system for understanding floors and ceilings of players...as well as values of players to specific team needs during your window of competition.

The goal is to win. You would never win if you only have high ranked dynasty assets rostered.

Obviously off topic but part of a larger discussion. It is happening all over again where Lacy and Gio are the new Trent and Martin.
  • TexasBornCowboysFanTexasBornCowboysFan December 14
    I see WR9 not #9 overall. That's a fair spot. I wouldn't buy at that price, but if I was selling that would be the minimum price I would want.
    Football is like life -- it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
    Vince Lombardi

• SmittySmitty December 14
    ravenlunatics said:

Love him but the community is too quick to annoint players. Looks at TRich and Martin rankings last year. Following those projections to just that, projecting too much.

The community needs a tier based ranking system for understanding floors and ceilings of players...as well as values of players to specific team needs during your window of competition.

The goal is to win. You would never win if you only have high ranked dynasty assets rostered.

Obviously off topic but part of a larger discussion. It is happening all over again where Lacy and Gio are the new Trent and Martin.

Your stance is arguable, no question, but you also have to keep in mind that DraftCalc thinking, community-based or site-based, has landed them most years. This is the first year we have seen such disastrous situations and busts, so I think it's almost not quite on the money to suggest those examples, Martin, Trich, mean not to think like we are thinking (ranking Allen No. 9 or higher). If we took the tiered approach and weren't quick to anoint, not as many DC users would own players like Dez Bryant, Arian Foster (in the past), etc. So, are you right in reflecting back on 2013? Sure, but in years past, a conservative eye wouldn't have landed some of the beasts we have. I admit, 2013 was a down year for me, but that's really 1 year out of about 9 that I haven't hit some serious lands out of a limited Upside Board list of 10 at a time... and, Josh Gordon was on our upside board, so was Shane Vereen, we didn't go conservative on either.. Go bold or go home, that's DC's take :) (not suggesting you are not on board with DC or anything negative toward you, just in general, we don't anoint slowly, never will. It's extreme, always will be. We all need some balance, though, so sometimes I try to not always go big :) One strange year, where everyone had bust predictions, that won't scare me into being conservative :)
  • bmxholden1bmxholden1 December 14
    +1 love the approach Smitty. I also love the fact that RavingLunatic explained the reasons he doesn't want to jump the gun. It helps me re-think my positions. Having said that, if anything Allen is getting under-estimated. I haven't seen one corner yet that can press cover him and contain him on his secondary cut yet, he gets separation, sometimes by 5 yards. I even watch him on plays Rivers goes elsewhere and the guy is open every &@$?! Play. So while some guys get anointed too soon because they found a nice situation, this guy is getting anointed cuz nobody can covering, he has epic open field running ability, he has toughness like Steve Smith, I think he thinks he's 5'8", and he can make every catch. Only thing stopping this guy is himself, bad QB, or constant double-teams, which is a distinct possibility, although you can't rank based on that.
    bmxholden1 said:

+1 love the approach Smitty. I also love the fact that RavingLunatic explained the reasons he doesn't want to jump the gun. It helps me re-think my positions. Having said that, if anything Allen is getting under-estimated. I haven't seen one corner yet that can press cover him and contain him on his secondary cut yet, he gets separation, sometimes by 5 yards. I even watch him on plays Rivers goes elsewhere and the guy is open every &@$?! Play. So while some guys get anointed too soon because they found a nice situation, this guy is getting anointed cuz nobody can covering, he has epic open field running ability, he has toughness like Steve Smith, I think he thinks he's 5'8", and he can make every catch. Only thing stopping this guy is himself, bad QB, or constant double-teams, which is a distinct possibility, although you can't rank based on that.

Right, and @ravenlunatics know that your approach is just fine, nothing wrong with it, there isnt anything wrong with anyone's approach or stance. Hope it didn't come out that way, but DC doesn't hold back. That's your job as the user to balance our "hey, here this player comes" with your own rankings/thinking, so you are almost your own guide through our bold madness :)
  • branch0095 December 14
    I don't particularly mind Allen being WR9. I wouldn't put him that high, but it's not a travesty of anything. With the NFL becoming such a passing league, there's going to be a ton of WRs that put up what we deemed to be "WR1" numbers a few years ago.. For me it gets very murky after the elite tier of 6 (Im including Gordon in this tier). I honestly think there's about 12 WRs that someone could argue to fill into the spots at WR7-WR12. 
    2013 predictions

-Cobb outscores Harvin in PPR
    -Chris Ivory will be a top 15RB
    -Kenny Britt finishes outside the top 20WRs
  • hawk12hawk12 December 14
    I've got him at 14, been looking to next year and making my own rankings for a few weeks now.... He's got the "it" factor like Steve Smith and Andre Johnson, by that I mean willing to go get the ball while its in the air.  Not all receivers have that, but more have been developing that in recent years than every before.
  • dunlap13dunlap13 December 14
    Yeah I would put him right around 15
    Peyton Manning

Cj Spiller, Lamar Miller, Le'veon Bell, bernard pierce,Shane Vereen,
    BJGE, Johnathan Franklin, Ben Tate,

Dez Bryant, Randall Cobb,Josh Gordon,
    TY Hilton, Alshon Jefferey, Chris Givens, Mike Williams

Jared Cook, Jordan Reed
  • umpump December 14
    I like DraftCalc's approach to finding potential studs early. However, I'm also cautious and like to pick and choose which ones I really like as well. I will try to draft the ones I really like (like Gio, Hilton, Gordon this year) even slightly early relative to ADP. I try to grab others with upside if they fall to me (which didn't exactly happen this year as I was hoping for guys like David Wilson to fall), and I will try to mix in put in a couple solid value picks that aren't upside guys (like Andre Brown - although he ended up getting injured after the draft). Going all upside guys can get you in trouble if you wait too long for your guys to emerge.
  • branch0095 December 14
    ump said:

I like DraftCalc's approach to finding potential studs early. However, I'm also cautious and like to pick and choose which ones I really like as well. I will try to draft the ones I really like (like Gio, Hilton, Gordon this year) even slightly early relative to ADP. I try to grab others with upside if they fall to me (which didn't exactly happen this year as I was hoping for guys like David Wilson to fall), and I will try to mix in put in a couple solid value picks that aren't upside guys (like Andre Brown - although he ended up getting injured after the draft). Going all upside guys can get you in trouble if you wait too long for your guys to emerge.

I agree with this. I also think you have to aware when sleepers become mainstream and they're ADP and cost rise to a point where the upside is not there any more. That's what happened with Wilson/Miller this year.
    2013 predictions

-Cobb outscores Harvin in PPR
    -Chris Ivory will be a top 15RB
    -Kenny Britt finishes outside the top 20WRs
    ump said:

Well, I also make it pretty clear to NOT always take players where we rank em. It's gotta be a balance between:

1) where DC ranks players
    2) where you rank them
    3) then all that against the ADP

I could have him no3 tomorrow, yet I would t suggest you draft him there. But if I think he will be 3rd, you will see him 3rd - I won't play it safe. I don't adjust to ADP because I want you guys to see my sleepers standout. Too often people think I'm saying to draft them (in this case Allen) where they are ranked. That's what ADPs and the draft rank lists are for.

Dez Bryant was no4 on my rankings heading into 2012, but he wasn't in most anyone's top 15WRs.. Of course that was my way of saying "sleeper!", not "draft him 4!"

Just thought I'd clarify a bit... Good discussion!
  • garyzabgaryzab December 15
    I don't trust Rivers having a repeat season and Matthews staying healthy.
    DC6

Qb RG3, Locker
    Wr DT, Shorts, Givens, Austin, Harper, Stills, Vince Brown, TJ Graham
    Rb Forte, Reggie Bush, Vereen, Turbin, Pead, LMJ
    Te Davis, Cameron, Myers
    K Blair Walsh
    Def Packers, Patriots
  • footballjunkie December 15
    garyzab said:

I don't trust Rivers having a repeat season and Matthews staying healthy.

Valid points but, HC McCoy is an offensive genius... So if Rivers stinks it up and Mathews goes down, Allen will still get his. Don't forget, McCoy was the OC in DEN when Tebow was QB... He put Tebow in position to succeed, in other words, he gets the most out of his players by gearing his offense to his players skills. Before Tebow, Orton had his best year with McCoy as his OC.
  • CARramrod958 December 15
    ^ This!
    "Don't call me radio, sixty-nine"!
  • TheHuddleTheHuddle December 15
    Nice post Junkie.

McCoy builds his offense around his talent.
  • bmxholden1bmxholden1 December 15
    The only reason Rivers ever had any down seasons is because they let Vincent Jackson and Sproles get away and Gates was overweight and injured. Rivers is a great QB if you give him some players - now with Woodhead and Allen to go with Gates and perhaps an even more athletic Green, and with Mathews going beast-mode, no reason to think Rivers suddenly declines in my view!
  • bddavidsonbddavidson December 15
    Smitty said:

ump said:

Well, I also make it pretty clear to NOT always take players where we rank em. It's gotta be a balance between:

1) where DC ranks players
    2) where you rank them
    3) then all that against the ADP

I could have him no3 tomorrow, yet I would t suggest you draft him there. But if I think he will be 3rd, you will see him 3rd - I won't play it safe. I don't adjust to ADP because I want you guys to see my sleepers standout. Too often people think I'm saying to draft them (in this case Allen) where they are ranked. That's what ADPs and the draft rank lists are for.

Dez Bryant was no4 on my rankings heading into 2012, but he wasn't in most anyone's top 15WRs.. Of course that was my way of saying "sleeper!", not "draft him 4!"

Just thought I'd clarify a bit... Good discussion!

well said Smitty...
    DC Nation Moderator
Add a Comment