Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• andr3wl January 28
  • bddavidson January 29
  • branch0095 January 28
  • draftyinhere January 29
  • dunlap13 January 30
  • emurrell17 January 30
  • fontaines January 30
  • Linebacker January 28
  • LukeB5301 January 29
  • rabidbucfan January 30
  • Reisssox January 28
  • stewss7 January 28
  • Swampies January 29
  • TBL January 28
  • tmoney January 29
  • Troy_Polamalyourass January 28

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12419
  • bddavidson 11884
  • JRMRRT 10916
  • Wutthecrapman 9965
  • BuckysGT 7620
  • LukeB5301 7302
  • garyzab 7109
  • Smitty 6807
  • TBL 4591
  • fontaines 4294
  • branch0095 4176

Who's Online (6)

• 9er_nation 1:04PM
  • BostonBrowns 1:02PM
  • chaindog35 1:04PM
  • ChazMichaelMichaels 1:04PM
  • cohendpt 1:04PM
  • winonemore 1:02PM
Homepage | Ranks | Projections | Articles | Upside Board | FAQs | Forums - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Ideal Situations: Sammy Watkins
  • emurrell17
    I'm going to take a shot at creating a series of threads for the incoming rookie class. A lot of us are starting to develop our own opinions on each player talent wise, so let's start talking where they could thrive the most? And what better place to start than the highly touted 1.1 rookie pick Sammy Watkins?

So let's try to decide where the 3 best landing spots are for Sammy and how likely we think they each are...ready...GO!

P.S. It's possible that if it's close I will create a poll with the top 3-5 choices and see where we come out at collectively.
    Bold Predictions:
    June 21- Dez Bryant finishes as the #1 WR in 2013.
  • rabidbucfanrabidbucfan January 28
    Tampa Bay - with the separation anxiety tandem of  VJax and Williams (both great hands guys but can't get away from anyone)  Watkins would be an immediate threat for who ever the Bucs have chucking the rock. good chance

St. Louis - the only real competition would be Austin and that's not really competition it's more like who would be WR1 and WR2 for the team. small chance

Baltimore- T. Smith needs help. little to no chance

So he goes to the Bucs and life is good 
    :D
    Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. -Dalai Lama

DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • stewss7stewss7 January 28
    Best situations...
    Indy
    San Diego
    Philly

No chance any of them lands Watkins. This is a fun exercise but it's completely futile. He'll likely end up a NYJ where he'll fade into Mike Tyson's "Bolivian".
    @stewss7
  • emurrell17 January 28
    stewss7 said:

Best situations...
    Indy
    San Diego
    Philly

No chance any of them lands Watkins. This is a fun exercise but it's completely futile. He'll likely end up a NYJ where he'll fade into Mike Tyson's "Bolivian".

I think he goes before NYJ.
    Bold Predictions:
  • TBLTBL January 28
    Detroit!
  • draftyinheredraftyinhere January 28
    Could you imagine him in Indy? Defenses having to have two guys that could keep up with Watkins and Hilton running all over, plus Wayne taking 12 yard passes all day long? Not to mention Da'Rick getting better and Luck throwing the ball. I don't see it happening, but what a nightmare for a defense.

I think Tampa might be thinking defense, but they would be smart to take him if he's available, and he might be at #7.

Kipper has him at #5 going to Oakland. Hard to say. They have a lot to work on.
    Dynasty PPR, 2QB IDP, Kick Return Yardage Points
    QB: Big Ben, Bradford, Tannehill, Manuel, Glennon, Keenum
    RB: Gio, L. Bell, CJ2K, L. Miller, P. Thomas, Ellington, Lattimore, L. Murray
    WR: V-Jax, K. Allen, Wayne, S. Smith, T. Williams, Hartline, Givens, M. Jones, M. Brown, McCluster, S. Hill, Brazill, A. Holmes, Bailey
    TE: Witten, Reed, Cook, Ertz, Kelce
    K: Gostkowski
    DE/DT: Wake, Ware, M. Williams
    LB: D. Johnson, Mayo, Cushing, Timmons
    DB: Honey Badger, Ward, M. Wright, Vaccaro
  • fontainesfontaines January 28
    I'm looking at situations which are feasible given draft position and team need.

St Louis:  Possible if a QB is not taken at 1 and the Rams can't trade down.  Still possible if the Rams trade down with the Browns at 4 or the Raiders at 5.  I think this would be the top situation.  They have a franchise qb in place and a decent RB  Watkins would step into 1 immediately but there's still weapons in Cook and Austin around.

Oakland:  I see Watkins mocked here alot, and this is probably the worst position imo.  No consistency at QB and Oakland has destroyed WR careers for quite some time.  If a qb drops then Watkins might be saved.

TB:  Would be a nice spot to land for him statistically, but I think TB would consider other talent that would drop like DE or O-line.

Minn:  I think Minnesota obviously looks for a qb, but if there isn't one of value there would they consider another WR?  They have to compete with the WR cores of the Bears, Lions and Packers.  Having Watkins and Patterson locked up for the next 4 years with AP running it would be huge, and likely necessary to compete in the North even without a solid qb

Detroit:  Watkins to Detroit is my floor for him, and probably the best situation.  I dont see detroit passing on him.  a 5000 yard passer with Megatron forcing single coverage is the absolute positive best situation for Watkins statistically.
  • emurrell17 January 28
    I think Manziel is a great fit for oakland...but they always pick the worst player available haha.
    Bold Predictions:
    i just realized i said both STL and DET would be the best situation for Watkins lol
  • bddavidsonbddavidson January 28
    best land spot IMHO is carolina (but they would have to trade up)! maybe Jacksonville with Blackmon problems..
    DC Nation Moderator
  • emurrell17 January 28
    Haha so far we haven't really decided on a top 3..I think everyone is a little all over te place. Can we try to narrow it down to maybe some of the most likely scenarios and then decide which of those is best? For example let's throw Indy out since they don't even have a first. And unless someone can come up with an excellent supporting argument for it, I can't see car trading up to get Watkins..though it would be one high powered division...
    Ryan- Julio
    Brees- graham
    Cam- Watkins

....maybe I just made the arguement
    Bold Predictions:
  • Linebacker January 28
    NYJ (#18), Carolina (#28) are the teams that could use him the most and he would probably be their #1 WR at some point in his rookie season

My guess is, unless these teams trade up, someone will go "Best Player Available" and snag Mr. Watson

If the Raiders don't select him at #5, maybe the Steelers at #15

• Troy_PolamalyourassTroy_Polamalyourass January 28
    I believe we will have another Julio Jones scenario here, where a team will give up a lot of picks to move up
    12 Team PPR Dynasty

QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE

Luck, Cutler
    Spiller, L Bell, Richardson, Ridley, Michael, Tate, B Pierce
    Calvin, AJ Green, Marshall, Britt, Shorts, Floyd (AZ), M Brown
    Gronk, JT, Cameron
    1.7, 1.8, 1.10, 1.11
  • bddavidsonbddavidson January 28
    Troy_Polamalyourass said:

I believe we will have another Julio Jones scenario here, where a team will give up a lot of picks to move up

agreed and please please dont let him go to the waste lands of jets/raiders!
    DC Nation Moderator
  • draftyinheredraftyinhere January 28
    I doubt he'll make it outside of the top 10, so without trade consideration, I would say most likely (not necessarily my preference) would be:

Oakland @5 (I hope not)
    TBB @7
    Detroit @10
    Dynasty PPR, 2QB IDP, Kick Return Yardage Points
    QB: Big Ben, Bradford, Tannehill, Manuel, Glennon, Keenum
    RB: Gio, L. Bell, CJ2K, L. Miller, P. Thomas, Ellington, Lattimore, L. Murray
    WR: V-Jax, K. Allen, Wayne, S. Smith, T. Williams, Hartline, Givens, M. Jones, M. Brown, McCluster, S. Hill, Brazill, A. Holmes, Bailey
    TE: Witten, Reed, Cook, Ertz, Kelce
    K: Gostkowski
    DE/DT: Wake, Ware, M. Williams
    LB: D. Johnson, Mayo, Cushing, Timmons
    DB: Honey Badger, Ward, M. Wright, Vaccaro
    He will not make it out of the top 10.

Based on Carolina's draft position, and the fact they need to get up to 4 or 5 to guarantee Watkins, it'll take a first this year, and a first next year plus a second somewhere else to move up (I believe ATL paid similar for Julio).  Problem is that the only team in the top 5 that would trade down that far and pass on a QB is St Louis, possibly Oakland if they miss on a qb.  Unfortunately, if CAR really wants Watkins, they can't wait till OAK is OTC, because it's likely most of the top 10 teams will also try to trade up to the top 4 to take a QB.  So Car almost would need to make a pre-draft move for STL's #2, as that will undoubtedly be the hottest pick in the draft this year from a trade bait perspective

I feel that Watkins will create alot of drama heading into the draft.  I think it's possible CAR makes a move for him, they need a WR bad and are competing, similar to how ATL was when they grabbed Julio.  I also, however, think the Patriots might make a move with some stockpiled picks to get a top WR.  Tom has to be in Bills ear about his career in the twilight and the dynasty almost over and the need to go all out for a playmaker
  • andr3wlandr3wl January 28
    Philly will go get him.
  • branch0095 January 28
    TBL said:

Detroit!

The more I read about this upcoming draft, the more I pinpoint Detroit and Watkins at 1.10......
    2013 predictions

-Cobb outscores Harvin in PPR
    -Chris Ivory will be a top 15RB
    -Kenny Britt finishes outside the top 20WRs
  • Reisssox January 28
    St Louis will be first to have the right to grab him...Good spot
    Raiders are looking at him as well, so I have read anyway
    NYJ-No way he slips past them...Please dont land here!!
    Love to see him in Indy or Caroilina, but never gonna happen unless they trade up
  • tmoneytmoney January 28
    I think the top 10 of this draft hinges on QBs and whether or not guys like Manzel, Bridgewater, Bortles and Carr are worthy of being selected that early.  There are 5 QB needy teams in the top 10 Hou, Jax, Cle, Oak and Minn.  The other guy who figures heavily in the top of the draft is Clowney.  All of these factors make STL at #2 the focal point of the draft.  Watkins to STL makes a lot of sense, but mostly in a trade down scenario.  I could see Cle, Oak and Minn all trying to move up to the #2 pick if a QB is there worth drafting.  And don't forget Atl at #6, who might want to make a move to add Clowney to a defense that had trouble rushing the passer.

So in my mind the scenario's for Watkins are: STL in a trade down / Oak if there isn't a QB worth drafting at 5 / Det at 10 would be the farthest he'll fall.  I wouldn't however rule out Tampa or Buffalo taking him as the best player available.
  • emurrell17 January 28
    Meant to do a poll here but it keeps saying "permission problem- You do not have permission to do that" Anybody know what's wrong?
    Bold Predictions:
Add a Comment