Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• bddavidson February 24
  • CARramrod958 February 24
  • donvaughn February 23
  • draftyinhere February 23
  • emurrell17 February 23
  • fontaines February 24
  • HailMary February 23
  • haimez40 February 24
  • JRMRRT February 24
  • LukeB5301 February 24
  • Payton34 February 24
  • Shmily February 23
  • SMFFCN February 23
  • Smitty February 24
  • stewss7 February 24
  • TheHuddle February 24
  • tmoney February 23
  • Troy_Polamalyourass February 24
  • whansen1202 February 23
  • Zep February 24

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12676
  • bddavidson 12292
  • JRMRRT 11321
  • Wutthecrapman 9976
  • BuckysGT 7750
  • LukeB5301 7587
  • Smitty 7157
  • garyzab 7109
  • TBL 4733
  • fontaines 4541
  • branch0095 4425

Who's Online (12)

• bmxholden1 2:25PM
  • BostonBrowns 2:24PM
  • Curly 2:24PM
  • emurrell17 2:24PM
  • fontaines 2:24PM
  • GuinnessIsGoodForYou 2:24PM
  • JRMRRT 2:27PM
  • Smitty 2:27PM
  • SweetLew 2:26PM
  • tailgator 2:26PM
  • vincentjmack 2:26PM
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie 2:27PM
free fantasy football draftcalc access
Homepage
| Ranks | Projections | Articles | Upside Board | FAQs | Forums - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Combine Players Rise and Fall
  • CARramrod958 February 24
    JRMRRT said:

LukeB5301 said:

JRMRRT said:

lIt is a relevant piece of the puzzle though.

I'll disagree

Thats fine...I like to see the broad and vertical jump though. The 10 yards split and bench numbers.

Me too. 3 cone and short shuttle also.
    "Don't call me radio, sixty-nine"!
  • LukeB5301LukeB5301 February 24
    JRMRRT said:

LukeB5301 said:

JRMRRT said:

I'll disagree

Thats fine...I like to see the broad and vertical jump though. The 10 yards split and bench numbers.

Bench is overrated.. Guys with long arms have a huge disadvantage
    My 2013 Predictions:
    [:(] C.J. Spiller Will Be The #1RB(Jan 9th)
    [XXX] Demaryius Thomas will be the #1 scoring WR!(Feb 13th)
    [XXX] Trent Richardson will NOT finish as a Top 10 RB!(June 4th)
    [:(] Rob Housler will be a Top 5 TE in 2013!(July 18th)
    [XXX] Josh Gordon will put up a 80/1200/10 stat line in just 14 Games!(Sept 5th)
  • JRMRRTJRMRRT February 24
    LukeB5301 said:

JRMRRT said:

LukeB5301 said:

JRMRRT said:

I'll disagree

Bench is overrated.. Guys with long arms have a huge disadvantage

Most people on here are not stupid. We take into consideration a players size, Frame and weight when comparing these numbers.

DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • bddavidsonbddavidson February 24
    i like to use the combine to verify what i see on tape so it is very relevant IMHO.. 
    DC Nation Moderator
  • TheHuddleTheHuddle February 24
    Clowney ran 4.47

The combine is one of many ways to rate a player.  Its one piece of the puzzle but definitely important.
  • haimez40 February 24
    LukeB5301 said:

None.. Fake football practice is fun to watch that's it.. Combine never affects my rankings

+1

On top of that Mike Evans is a stud and has all the physical skills, his knock is he has to be motivated and Manziel is gone(assuming).  Will he give up or fight at the next level is my only issue.  Reminds me of David Boston.  Boston had 3 amazing seasons though before he wigged out with steroids and worked out to much to were he couldn't even lift his arms above his head.
    I don't trust Adam Schefter and neither should you!!!
  • Troy_PolamalyourassTroy_Polamalyourass February 24
    haimez40 said:

LukeB5301 said:

None.. Fake football practice is fun to watch that's it.. Combine never affects my rankings

+1

On top of that Mike Evans is a stud and has all the physical skills, his knock is he has to be motivated and Manziel is gone(assuming).  Will he give up or fight at the next level is my only issue.  Reminds me of David Boston.  Boston had 3 amazing seasons though before he wigged out with steroids and worked out to much to were he couldn't even lift his arms above his head.

Who is your 1.1 this year Haimez?
    12 Team PPR Dynasty

QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE

Luck, Cutler
    Spiller, L Bell, Ridley, Michael, Tate, B Pierce, K Davis
    Calvin, AJ Green, Marshall, Britt, M Brown
    Gronk, Cameron
    1.1, 1.7, 1.11
  • haimez40 February 24
    Honestly right now I would have to take Sammy Watkins.  He wigs me out though, he has great upside no doubt and after the catch skills are off the charts like Patterson last year.  What wigs me out is his average catch/target ratio was only like 4.3 yards from the line of scrimmage.  Long story short he rarely ran routes besides screens or quick slant.  That being said he goes to the Rams he could explode.  I keep picturing him with the Raiders though and kind of makes me nervous since they need  a QB more but they seem set on making McCown the starter there.  I really like Evans physically but I can't stand what I have seen of him on the sidelines basically crawling into a ball/crying.  If it wasn't for the 2 or 3 games I saw of that I would have Evans #1.  Watkins as of right now.  This is the first year in awhile I haven't had a rock solid #1 before the combine, this draft is pretty deep imo.  None of the backs right now stand out to me, and not cause I don't like them they just all are hard to read from my initial look.  I think the back I want on all my teams per value and nobody talking about him is Marion Grice from AZ St.   Sankey seems better than I was expecting so he might lead my board for RB.  Now I have some kind of bad vibes on Hyde and no real logical reason why some reason I'm not feeling him.  Nothing like last year though were I just wanted nothing to do with Ball.

Whoever goes to the Texans at QB could be a stud out the gate and I have been saying Bortles is my first pick overall in real football so he could be a sneaky pick if people needed a QB around the 1.5 range.  I think he is that good too.  Texans seem really unpredictable though.
  • SmittySmitty
    Yeah, it is totally a piece of the puzzle, but yes not the only thing you should use. The reason it's helpful is it does shed light on question marks you may have had, and it speaks to how teams are starting to feel about players, which helps, a bit, predict where guys could fall. With RBs, though, because they all fall so late now, any one of the top 8 could fall in the best situation now, so RBs are TOUGHER than ever to predict, especially if going of workouts. My boy West from Townson could fall in the best spot as the 6th drafted runner, so it's nuts.
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder
  • bddavidsonbddavidson February 24
    watkins 
    evans
    mason
    seastrunk
    DC Nation Moderator
  • haimez40 February 24
    bddavidson said:

watkins 

evans
    mason
    seastrunk

I like Mason, but does it worry you with their scheme he literally never pass protected?(looks like I'm being a smart ass, but I'm really seriously looking for an opinion)
  • fontainesfontaines February 24
    Chris Johnson running the 4.34 or whatever it was when he came out was pretty significant.  Whatever we say about him now he had a pretty darn quality fantasy career especially at the price he was at.  

By the same token, If Watkins ran a 5.24 40.....you can't say it won't hurt his draft stock and his rankings.  

Sure combine results aren't everything, and often get overvalued, but they are important.  And if you truly know how to scout players then you can use combine results to your advantage by scooping up talented players who perform poorly :) 
    DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • Payton34Payton34 February 24
    haimez40 said:

bddavidson said:

watkins 

evans
    mason
    seastrunk

I like Mason, but does it worry you with their scheme he literally never pass protected?(looks like I'm being a smart ass, but I'm really seriously looking for an opinion)

Not 100%, but I believe he played under more than one system in college... With Malzahn last season? Yeah, I don't know how much pass pro he really had to do, and the running threat Nick Marshall posed probably helped him some as well...

That said, he still passes the eye test for me...
    NON-PPR, 6pt TD Pass, Return Yards Count, Start 1-3 RBs
    QB - Brees, RG III, Cousins
    RB - Charles, L Bell, Z Stacy
    WR - Marshall, J Nelson, Randle, R Cooper, Hopkins, Harvin, D Rogers, G Whalen
    TE - J Cook, J Thomas, K Rudolph, T Gonzalez
    K - Bailey, Dawson
    D - Seattle, NY Jets
  • haimez40 February 24
    fontaines said:

Chris Johnson running the 4.34 or whatever it was when he came out was pretty significant.  Whatever we say about him now he had a pretty darn quality fantasy career especially at the price he was at.  

By the same token, If Watkins ran a 5.24 40.....you can't say it won't hurt his draft stock and his rankings.  

Sure combine results aren't everything, and often get overvalued, but they are important.  And if you truly know how to scout players then you can use combine results to your advantage by scooping up talented players who perform poorly :) 

I would be pissed if a MLB prospect ran a 5.24 40 much less a WR.LOL  Keenan Allen had a terrible combine/40 time and he turned out OK.  It works both ways really.  How fast you run in a straight line for 40 yards means really nothing if you can't read a playbook or line up properly or take awhile to get to full speed.  For me watching a WR the main thing I look at is getting out of jams and first step off the snap.  Those are the biggest issues for kids making the jump to the NFL>
  • Payton34Payton34 February 24
    The thing with Keenan Allen though is that it was no secret that he was coming off a pretty bad injury... Common sense could/should have been applied to his combine results last year..
    NON-PPR, 6pt TD Pass, Return Yards Count, Start 1-3 RBs
    QB - Brees, RG III, Cousins
    RB - Charles, L Bell, Z Stacy
    WR - Marshall, J Nelson, Randle, R Cooper, Hopkins, Harvin, D Rogers, G Whalen
    TE - J Cook, J Thomas, K Rudolph, T Gonzalez
    K - Bailey, Dawson
    D - Seattle, NY Jets
  • stewss7stewss7 February 24
    The problem with that is common sense isn't common.
    @stewss7
Add a Comment