Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• bddavidson December 17
  • draftyinhere December 17
  • emurrell17 December 17
  • jintsfan66 December 17
  • Smitty December 17
  • SweetLew December 17
  • thedude December 17
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie December 17

Tagged

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12130
  • bddavidson 11195
  • JRMRRT 10916
  • Wutthecrapman 9598
  • BuckysGT 7544
  • LukeB5301 7163
  • garyzab 7018
  • Smitty 6354
  • TBL 4463
  • branch0095 3951
  • fontaines 3950

Who's Online (3)

• TheHuddle 9:49PM
  • tmoney 9:49PM
  • Wutthecrapman 9:50PM
Homepage | Articles | Rankings | Projections | Start Bench | Calcs | Forums | Terms | FAQs - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Announcement: 2014 Here On DraftCalc
  • SmittySmitty
    Ok, so many of you have already heard about this, or at least participated in some early discussions that we had on the topic, but DraftCalc is going to funnel all of it's energy (my energy), focus and resources into creating a better product (FEB-AUG). So, my goal and site tag line will be:

To provide more content than ever before, but shove it all into the months of FEB-AUG.

While the forums will remain a huge INSEASON feature, one I will frequent more than ever in 2014, this means that there will be no paid content, or written content, in the future INSEASONs. We WON'T have INSEASON rankings, projections, waiver articles, no articles in fact, but we will have some automated must-have features, like our NEW 365 NEWS FEED! OUR FORUMS. In an attempt to create more novelty with the paid product, though, and so that I can get to what I love most (bold predictions, rookies, dynasty breakdowns, redraft predicting prior to draft day), I'm going to shove everything I have into the FEB-AUG months and crank out the best fantasy content humanly possible.

The big question. "Well, Smitty, why can't you just do all this and create an INSEASON product?" That's a great question, but the answer is simple, even though it's a two part answer. 

1. DraftCalc was never intended to be a multi-writer site, it has always been, and will likely always remain, a one-man show (writing wise). That presents some limitations on how much one man can do, especially with no break or 'rest up' period (and I say that more from a mental standpoint... think of it like writer's block. Without a break, and with a product that just never shuts down at all, things run together, and it makes for no separation between one season and the next. With an offseason (for me), my content will be better, more energized... I can go 100 miles per hour for only so long. With this new setup, I feel I can stay at 100 miles per hour for the FEB-AUG period. Plus, many cannot see, but a TON of work goes into the maintaining and preparations of both the INSEASON and OFFSEASON. For example, right now I spend half my day trying to clean up current content for this week, and half my day preparing for next OFFSEASON. It's a year-round job. Even with a shutdown INSEASON, a lot still goes into the FEB preparation, so for me it's more like a 4 month break, then back to preparation in DEC and JAN for the FEB launch.

2. To be honest here, I enjoy the OFFSEASON predicting 100x more than the INSEASON.. maybe 1,000x more... because I feel there is a lot of skill involved in the OFFSEASON piece of the business. Not to knock anyone that does INSEASON weekly predicting, as I have been doing it since 2005 myself, but there is just a whole lot more guess work involved, and if I have a choice to produce "X Number" of pieces of content, I would rather produce that same amount (or more) on the side of the business that I love and feel I can do best... the OFFSEASON.

I know many of you will be sad to see the INSEASON rankings, projections, start bench advice and waiver wire content go, but trust me when I say that that energy and amount of content will be replaced and shoved back into the FEB-AUG time frame. 
    Edit: But we will have a handful of INSEASON FEATURES that are FREE and not relating to 'written content' - Ex: 365 DAY Breaking News Wire, which will be year round and launches Feb 1. We may have some Expert Consensus Rankings that will be fed in, stuff like that might be up put up. The news will especially be a great everyday must-have.

Some restaurants open for breakfast and lunch, but close at dinner, and it helps keep focus and produce a better product for their customers. If this wasn't a successful model, companies wouldn't do it. I am confident, because I know how much I love the OFFSEASON, that DraftCalc will be better than ever because of this model. You will crave the OFFSEASON content moving forward vs. just loving it. I am extremely confident in this new model.

And, with our forums being 365, and with me not being able to be on the forums much during the INSEASON, this move just makes our Forums that much better (and that much more interactive for you all if I can be on there talking with you all more and more).

- Smitty | Owner/Founder | DraftCalc.com
  • thedude December 17
    One last question: What about the Trade Calcs? Will these be maintained for in season dynasty purposes? Will you have a link to various ranking aggregators (you know, so you can keep folks at your site...)?
    =====================================
    "It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..." - The Dude
  • SmittySmitty December 17
    thedude said:

One last question: What about the Trade Calcs? Will these be maintained for in season dynasty purposes? Will you have a link to various ranking aggregators (you know, so you can keep folks at your site...)?

Calcs, no. Rankings averages, most likely something could be pulled in from other sources. People will remain on the site for the forums, but I will do my very best to get up as much 'auto-updated' content as possible. 

Example: In Feb, we launch our new Breaking News section, which has feeds from ESPN, Rotoworld, KFFL and more. So, your one-stop news source, inseason or offseason, will be right here.  So yes, to answer your question, I anticipate some reasons to not just hit the forum, and daily.
    And thedude, thanks for bringing it up, the site will be loaded with other stuff worth using, like our new humor section. You will see. The Rankings, Projections, Start Bench Articles, those won't be here during the inseason, but News, Humor, and some sort of automatically updated features will likely be in place that can help you during the inseason. And the forums of course!!!
  • SweetLewSweetLew December 17
    This sounds good for me im here for the forums mostly and the off season article's so as long as I got those 2 I'm good lol
  • bddavidsonbddavidson December 17
    I like the thought of more Off-season focusing that is were we really build our dynasty teams for the future not so much during the season and the forums will help keep focus on guys that are breaking or going to break out during the season..The forums usually gives me all the information i am looking for anyways at that time of year..Awesome news  Smitty!!! \m/

Believe me guys I have seen some of Smitty's new design/concepts just state of the art stuff (cant wait for the full unveiling!)!
    DC Nation Moderator
    @sweetLew and @bddavidson

Thanks. 

The new format is gonna make waiting for FEB1 like waiting for Xmas.

Also, while this shift will CERTAINLY enhance the dynasty content around here, please know all you redraft leaguers, your redraft content is about to get a major facelift as well. Dynasty, Redraft, it's equal here, but we will have so much of both in FEB-AUG, you will go nuts.

And, the new site design, and some of the 365 features (news, forums, humor and a few others) will make DraftCalc a must-stop every day. I don't intend to have anyone leave during Kickoff - DEC/JAN... we plan to make the site very valuable in the INSEASON, mainly yes by the forums, but the news feature is great, just wait.
  • jintsfan66 December 17
    Good stuff, I like the offseason material even better. This is when the diehards do their homework and separates the weak hearted. Good Job Smitty
    Team #1
    QB - Arod, Roethlisberger, Keenum
    RB - AP, T rich, Spiller, Pierce, Moreno,
    WR - Julio Jones, Cobb, A. Brown, Nicks, T. Smith, TY Hilton, Blackmon
    TE - Graham, Thomas
    D- SF
    K- Hartley
    Taxi: C. Patterson Michael

Starting Requirements: 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1Flex RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1 DEF 1 PPR

• Whos_Ur_Doggie December 17
    Looking forward to this Smitty!  The offseason never rests, lol.
    DC Nation Moderator
    I'm super, super excited about how this will enhance my ability to deliver the info I am good at and what I'm passionate about, the off-season stuff, the stuff that helps us all land the next sleeper... The news feeds we will have, the forums, that will feed us during the inseason, don't worry!
  • thedude December 17
    I am looking forward to it as well. Frankly, no offense intended, I think projections are equivalent to dart board throws. My season both sucked and was saved by DC. Missed on some top picks: Spiller and DWilson. Hit on some others, the best being Josh Freaking Gordon. 
    =====================================
    "It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..." - The Dude
    thedude said:

I am looking forward to it as well. Frankly, no offense intended, I think projections are equivalent to dart board throws. My season both sucked and was saved by DC. Missed on some top picks: Spiller and DWilson. Hit on some others, the best being Josh Freaking Gordon. 

No offense taken. My being honest in saying if rather plug that energy/resource to an offseason feature.
  • emurrell17 December 17
    This all sound great smitty, but how likely is it that we may get an app in the next few years?
    Bold Predictions:
    June 21- Dez Bryant finishes as the #1 WR in 2013.
    emurrell17 said:

This all sound great smitty, but how likely is it that we may get an app in the next few years?

I've looked into this inseason. I will do my best.
  • draftyinheredraftyinhere December 17
    As a dynasty guy who first found DC through your bold predictions, I am chomping at the bit waiting for your new format. I have the first two picks in next year's rookie draft, so you can believe I'll be on early and often starting Feb 1. Can't wait!
    Dynasty PPR, 2QB IDP, Kick Return Yardage Points
    QB: Big Ben, Bradford, Tannehill, Manuel, Glennon, Keenum
    RB: Gio, L. Bell, CJ2K, L. Miller, P. Thomas, Ellington, Lattimore, L. Murray
    WR: V-Jax, K. Allen, Wayne, S. Smith, T. Williams, Hartline, Givens, S. Hill, M. Brown, Brazill
    TE: Witten, Reed, Cook, Ertz, Kelce
    K: Gostkowski
    DE/DT: Wake, Ware, M. Williams
    LB: D. Johnson, Mayo, Cushing, Timmons
    DB: Honey Badger, Ward, M. Wright, Vaccaro
    draftyinhere said:

As a dynasty guy who first found DC through your bold predictions, I am chomping at the bit waiting for your new format. I have the first two picks in next year's rookie draft, so you can believe I'll be on early and often starting Feb 1. Can't wait!

Well, get ready to be slapped across the face with content!
Add a Comment