Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• branch0095 December 14
  • BuckysGT December 14
  • draftyinhere December 12
  • emurrell17 December 14
  • Fitzismyguy December 13
  • fontaines December 13
  • footballjunkie December 13
  • GlassJoe December 13
  • Payton34 December 14
  • Smitty December 14
  • stewss7 December 14
  • Zep December 13

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12077
  • bddavidson 11116
  • JRMRRT 10916
  • Wutthecrapman 9556
  • BuckysGT 7535
  • LukeB5301 7163
  • garyzab 6986
  • Smitty 6329
  • TBL 4463
  • branch0095 3932
  • fontaines 3926

Who's Online (3)

• Haggishntr 3:55AM
  • nevilleknows 3:54AM
  • Smitty 3:55AM
Homepage | Articles | Rankings | Projections | Start Bench | Calcs | Forums | Terms | FAQs - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Melvin Gordon to Declare for 2014 NFL Draft?
  • footballjunkie

Wisconsin redshirt sophomore RB Melvin Gordon has requested an evaluation from the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

"It's what he wants to do, I'm going to respect that and support it,"
    head coach Gary Andersen said. Gordon is reportedly the only non-senior
    Badger to test NFL draft waters. Our own Josh Norris considers Gordon
    the top draft-eligible prospect at his position, and Gordon might be
    wise to get ahead of next year's loaded running back class. He compares
    favorably to Jamaal Charles.

Source:

On skill set alone, I too like Josh Norris prefer Gordon over Seastrunk.
  • SmittySmitty December 12
    So far Gordon is my no 1
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder | DraftCalc.com
  • footballjunkie December 12
    Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

You betcha!  My only knock on him is he doesn't seem to have that break-away/long speed.  But man can he make defenders miss!
  • emurrell17 December 12
    footballjunkie said:

Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

You betcha!  My only knock on him is he doesn't seem to have that break-away/long speed.  But man can he make defenders miss!

Never seen this guy play but he sounds like shady from what you said.
    Bold Predictions:
    June 21- Dez Bryant finishes as the #1 WR in 2013.
  • emurrell17 December 12
    Here you guys go..for anyone that hasn't seen him either

I somewhat agree with that Charles comparison, but I see a little bit of shady McCoy as well (both are top 3 dynasty options so can't complain with those comparisons)

Anyone believe the rumors of no rbs being taken in the first any more?
    Bold Predictions:
    June 21- Dez Bryant finishes as the #1 WR in 2013.
  • draftyinheredraftyinhere December 12
    Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

#1 RB or #1 prospect overall?
    Dynasty PPR, 2QB IDP, Kick Return Yardage Points
    QB: Big Ben, Bradford, Tannehill, Manuel, Glennon, Keenum
    RB: Gio, Le'Veon Bell, CJ2K, L. Miller, P. Thomas, Ellington, Lattimore, L. Murray
    WR: Wayne, V-Jax, K. Allen, S. Smith, T. Williams, Givens, Hartline, S. Hill, M. Brown, Kerley, Brazill
    TE: Witten, Reed, Cook, Kelce
    K: Gostkowski, Walsh
    DE/DT: Wake, Ware, M. Williams
    LB: D. Johnson, Mayo, Cushing, E. Henderson, Mathis, Timmons
    DB: Honey Badger, Ward, M. Wright, Vaccaro
  • BuckysGT December 12
    NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!   I wanted to see this guy be the main guy next year for WI.

For those of you that haven't seen him, he is legit. Great vision, power and has good speed. My only concern about him at the next level is receiving ability. That was the one area I thought he needed improvement in. As far as comparisons, I think he reminds me of Shady more than Charles.
  • SmittySmitty December 12
    draftyinhere said:

Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

#1 RB or #1 prospect overall?

Not sure yet, clearly he is in the running. I do a ton of scouting in FEB, but since the new and improved DraftCalc launches Feb 1., I'll have to do it in Jan :)
  • branch0095 December 12
    This kid is sick! Probably only BuckysGT has seen more of Melvin Gordon than I have since I'm in Big10 country. The only thing I can hope for is that the stigma of being a Wisconsin RB lowers his value in the eyes of dynasty owners. I doubt it will, but one can hope. :)

2013 predictions

-Cobb outscores Harvin in PPR
    -Chris Ivory will be a top 15RB
    -Kenny Britt finishes outside the top 20WRs
  • footballjunkie December 12
    Gordon has only one reception this year, three receptions in three years... Hope that's by design of the offense and not because he has hands of stone.
  • BuckysGT December 13
    footballjunkie said:

Gordon has only one reception this year, three receptions in three years... Hope that's by design of the offense and not because he has hands of stone.

that's exactly why I said this is the area he needs to work on. Some may be by design, but others reasons is he split the workload with J. White this year. I believe White had more rec.
  • GlassJoe December 13
    Don't watch college ball much, but I like what I see in that highlights video. I particularly like his patience and willingness (if not preference) to cut back toward the middle of the field instead of looking to bounce everything out to the sideline.  I have the top 3 picks in my main D-league, so if he declares I think I've already got one pick allocated.
  • FitzismyguyFitzismyguy December 13
    Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

I am starting to really like Carlos Hyde. Big, fast and cuts well. He might be a better pro prospect than Gordon.
    QB Russell Wilson, E.J. Manuel and Terrelle Pryor
    RB David Wilson, J Stewart, Benny Cunningham, Johnathan Franklin, Willis McGahee, Rashad Jennings, Mike James,Bobby Rainey, Jordan Todman and and Green-Ellis
    WR AJ Green, Deandre Hopkins, Vincent Brown, Doug Baldwin and Keenan Allen
    TE Jimmy Graham, Jordan Reed and Jermaine Gresham
    PK Bryant and Novak
    DT Green Bay and Carolina
    PPR - Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK and 1 DEF.

I am actually now "A.J. is my guy"
  • fontaines December 13
    emurrell17 said:

Here you guys go..for anyone that hasn't seen him either

I somewhat agree with that Charles comparison, but I see a little bit of shady McCoy as well (both are top 3 dynasty options so can't complain with those comparisons)

Anyone believe the rumors of no rbs being taken in the first any more?

I do, but for fantasy purposes it won't matter.  If the best RB gets drafted in the 1st or 7th it won't matter.  They'll still be rostered and still get to play.

I personally would be surprised if we EVER saw another RB taken in the first until a major shift in the game takes place.  I'd love to do an analysis of first round RBs vs all other rounds over the last 5-6 years.  Out of the current top 10 dynasty RBs i think AP was the only one taken in the first
    DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • ZepZep December 13
    Very hard not to see one of Yeldon  or Gurley going in the first round next year, even if it very late. Somebody will trade up into the end of the 1st to grab them, because teams know they will go very quickly in round 2
  • SmittySmitty December 13
    Everything is a cycle. RBs will return to value and fade, return and fade. We may never see RB value ever return to where it was, but in football, especially fantasy, cycles are all over. In 2-3 years, 2 QBs will get drafted in fantasy first rounds again (45-50TD seasons will do that). In redraft, id take Manning In the early first (and will), and no QB was considered a first last year or the year before.
  • BuckysGT December 13
    Zep said:

Very hard not to see one of Yeldon  or Gurley going in the first round next year, even if it very late. Somebody will trade up into the end of the 1st to grab them, because teams know they will go very quickly in round 2

I believe both of those guys aren't eligible until 2015
  • footballjunkie December 13
    Barring injury, Gurley and Yeldon are 1st rd locks in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Can't say that about Gordon in 2014 if he declares.
  • branch0095 December 14
    Fitzismyguy said:

Smitty said:

So far Gordon is my no 1

I am starting to really like Carlos Hyde. Big, fast and cuts well. He might be a better pro prospect than Gordon.

Hyde is my boy obviously if you look at my avatar :) . I really think he is a name that will be moving up boards as spring approaches, and that's not the homer in me either. I think the best way to describe him against known former Buckeyes is that he's the best of Beanie Wells and Maurice Clarett combined; but without being an injury risk He's an absolute beast. I worry about how viable he can be in PPR, but he is better at catching the ball then his stats indicate.
    2013 predictions

-Cobb outscores Harvin in PPR
    -Chris Ivory will be a top 15RB
    -Kenny Britt finishes outside the top 20WRs
  • SmittySmitty December 14
    Love Hyde. He EASILY could be DC's No. 1 rookie runner come FEB. 1. It's close between all three of Gordon, Hyde and Seastrunk. Gordon has the edge, but if we get a feeling NFL teams see Hyde as a workhorse, that changes things for my No. 1 spot. So, in FEB, it's gonna be a bunch of guess work in terms of how we think the teams view the guys in conjunction with the talent evaluation. Then in April, things get flipped upside down. I love FEB-MAY, and DC is gonna crush the rookie content!

Our new FEB-AUG (really it's kickoff) model is going to provide more info than ever, just within the months of FEB-AUG. For those that have missed this ongoing convo throughout the season (on the forums), it's been decided that all resources, time, energy is going to be plugged into FEB-AUG and the forums will drive the Inseason. It won't make everyone happy, but I will be on the forums a lot more this way, and that is way more personal, fun and useful than hard-to-land weekly projections and start bench advice. The product will ONLY be FEB-AUG (technically SEPT something, kickoff)... and it will be more info than before, just in a smaller window.
  • Payton34Payton34 December 14
    Smitty said:

Everything is a cycle. RBs will return to value and fade, return and fade. We may never see RB value ever return to where it was, but in football, especially fantasy, cycles are all over. In 2-3 years, 2 QBs will get drafted in fantasy first rounds again (45-50TD seasons will do that). In redraft, id take Manning In the early first (and will), and no QB was considered a first last year or the year before.

Yup, I think some teams will begin to go back to a "Feature Back" situation instead of the committee approach, and other teams are beginning to realize that chucking the ball everywhere will only get you so far without a running game.

Lacy and Green Bay is exhibit A here...
    NON-PPR, 6pt TD Pass, Return Yards Count, Start 1-3 RBs
    QB - Brees, Glennon, Manuel
    RB - D Martin, Charles, L Miller, L Bell, Z Stacy
    WR - Marshall, D Bowe, J Nelson, Givens, Randle, Hopkins,
    TE - J Cook, J Thomas, K Rudolph
    K - Bailey, Akers
    D - Seattle, NY Jets
Add a Comment