Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• bddavidson February 13
  • bmxholden1 February 15
  • chaindog35 February 10
  • donvaughn February 10
  • dunlap13 February 10
  • emurrell17 February 10
  • FarFromHome February 12
  • Fighting_Amish February 12
  • Flipper February 11
  • fontaines February 13
  • haimez40 February 13
  • icemic February 15
  • JRMRRT February 15
  • k0wned February 11
  • MikeOcherts February 14
  • rabidbucfan February 12
  • Smitty February 11
  • Swampies February 13
  • TheHuddle February 12
  • tmoney February 13
  • Troy_Polamalyourass February 10
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie February 10
  • zeeshan2 February 13

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12659
  • bddavidson 12270
  • JRMRRT 11272
  • Wutthecrapman 9976
  • BuckysGT 7747
  • LukeB5301 7574
  • Smitty 7110
  • garyzab 7109
  • TBL 4721
  • fontaines 4514
  • branch0095 4394

Who's Online (9)

• branch0095 6:16PM
  • BuckysGT 6:18PM
  • ChazMichaelMichaels 6:18PM
  • hawk12 6:18PM
  • Iceman 6:18PM
  • SMFFCN 6:17PM
  • tone1oc 6:16PM
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie 6:17PM
  • zildjian 6:18PM
Homepage | Ranks | Projections | Articles | Upside Board | FAQs | Forums - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Michael Sam’s has a lot of guts!
  • SwampiesSwampies
    For him to come out like he did takes a lot Of guts! To be the 1st pink elephant (pardon the expression) in the room that forces everyone not to notice that he gay! How does this effect where he gets drafted? He's a 3rd to 4th rounder at least and possibly a guy who might not even get drafted because of his talent alone! This is a topic a lot of people would rather discard and move on but it does effect how certain teams will want to be looked at by the media in general as being the first NFL team to welcome a openly gay player .

It was inevitable that an NFL player would come out as gay, even if it was unexpected that the declaration would come from a player on the starting edge of his career.

And so it was inevitable that the NFL would greet the moment with an official statement of support.

“We admire Michael Sam’s honesty and courage,” the league said Sunday night.  “Michael is a football player.  Any player with ability and determination can succeed in the NFL.  We look forward to welcoming and supporting Michael Sam in 2014.”

While it’s important for the league to approve Sam’s decision and orientation, the NFL loses control over the process once the draft commences on May 8 in New York City.  That’s when we’ll begin to find out whether the NFL is truly ready to embrace an openly gay player.
    My league is a non PPR 12 person league having a roster of 19 players each. Active roster includes 1Qb 2Rb's 3Wr's 1Te 1K 1Def. Two weeks before draft we cut the roster down to 9 keepers. My team as of now:
    QB Russell Wilson, EJ Manuel, Josh Mckown
    RB Lamar Miller, Shane Vereen, Zac Stacy, Cierre Wood
    WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, Rueben Randle, Kenny Stills
    TE Z Ertz, M. Bennett, Delanie Walker
    DEF Kansas City, Cleveland
    K Steven Hauschka

(I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
  • bddavidsonbddavidson February 10
    wonder which team will be willing to put up with this crap..not sure they need a press conference for this.. how many straight guys schedule a conference to let teams know hey i am straight hope that not a problem , gays seem set on pulling the focus to them and forcing there lifestyle on others 
    DC Nation Moderator
  • dunlap13dunlap13 February 10
    He wasnt a high prospect to begin with. Fourth fifth round grade. I dont think it will take a huge toll on his stock but I feel it will slightly.
    .5 ppr 10 Team Dynasty: 1 Qb, 2 Rb, 3 Wr, 1 Rb/Wr, 1 Te

Peyton Manning

CJ Spiller, Leveon Bell, Demarco Murray, Shane Vereen, Lamar Miller, Bernard Peirce, Christine Michael Johnathan Franklin

Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Randall Cobb, Alshon Jeffery, Jarrett Boykin

Kyle Rudolph, Martellus Bennett

1.4 1.10 2.10 3.10
  • SwampiesSwampies February 10
    It's very much like tim tebow in how the media wil create a circus around this! There are teams like NE that could draft him and not even mention a thing about that he's gay! Bill would just move on to the next question. It's how the locker room will handle it is the question? Bullying was a problem in Miami can't imagine how this will turn out! This generation I believe can handle this but like BD said it's being force fead at times with this issue!
    My league is a non PPR 12 person league having a roster of 19 players each. Active roster includes 1Qb 2Rb's 3Wr's 1Te 1K 1Def. Two weeks before draft we cut the roster down to 9 keepers. My team as of now:
    WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, Rueben Randle, Kenny Stills
    K Steven Hauschka

• TheHuddleTheHuddle February 10
    Any nfl player, coach or exec should watch 42 & realize this is another part of society that has changed. If you really have a problem with it then it is you that has the problem. It's 2014.
  • dunlap13dunlap13 February 10
    TheHuddle said:

Any nfl player, coach or exec should watch 42 & realize this is another part of society that has changed. If you really have a problem with it then it is you that has the problem. It's 2014.

Yep

.5 ppr 10 Team Dynasty: 1 Qb, 2 Rb, 3 Wr, 1 Rb/Wr, 1 Te

Peyton Manning

CJ Spiller, Leveon Bell, Demarco Murray, Shane Vereen, Lamar Miller, Bernard Peirce, Christine Michael Johnathan Franklin

Dez Bryant, Josh Gordon, Randall Cobb, Alshon Jeffery, Jarrett Boykin

Kyle Rudolph, Martellus Bennett

1.4 1.10 2.10 3.10
  • Whos_Ur_DoggieWhos_Ur_Doggie February 10
    TheHuddle said:

=D>  ..... if the dude can produce in the NFL, who cares if he likes the same sex.  He won't be the first or only gay athlete in the NFL anyway.
    DC Nation Moderator
    Whos_Ur_Doggie said:

TheHuddle said:

=D>  ..... if the dude can produce in the NFL, who cares if he likes the same sex.  He won't be the first or only gay athlete in the NFL anyway.

agreed but why have a press conference who gives a chit...fringing drama queens these groups are...
    DC Nation Moderator
    TheHuddle said:

lol u tell me that after an NFL player beats the crap out of ya for checking him out...
    DC Nation Moderator
  • Whos_Ur_DoggieWhos_Ur_Doggie February 10
    bddavidson said:

Whos_Ur_Doggie said:

TheHuddle said:

agreed but why have a press conference who gives a chit...fringing drama queens these groups are...

Yeah, not sure that a press conference was necessary.
    DC Nation Moderator
    guess owner are going build seperate showers and dressing areas for these guys... 
    DC Nation Moderator
  • emurrell17 February 10
    I don't think NFL teams will have a problem with his sexuality, but if I'm an nfl exec I don't want all that press. It's probably just really annoying
    Bold Predictions:
    June 21- Dez Bryant finishes as the #1 WR in 2013.
    !
    emurrell17 said:

I don't think NFL teams will have a problem with his sexuality, but if I'm an nfl exec I don't want all that press. It's probably just really annoying

Woody Johnson would! Don't be surprised,he loves the headlines!
    K Steven Hauschka

TheHuddle said:

=D> well said!
    K Steven Hauschka

The only problem I see is when Or if he gets cut! Will he or the media pull out his gay card, and say this is the reason why he's being cut! When we all know already it's whether you have enough talent or not!
    K Steven Hauschka

• chaindog35chaindog35 February 10
    bddavidson said:

Whos_Ur_Doggie said:

TheHuddle said:

BDD, I don't think Mr. Sam is doing this for attention or trying to force any agenda on anyone. It sounds like scouts, his team, and many media members knew about his sexual orientation. He just wanted to come out on his terms and not be outed by an ambitious media member. In his interview with ESPN, he said he just wants to be a professional and play football.

Will this hurt his draft stock because of the potential distraction and chemistry issues? I think there is a good chance it will, but at the end of the day, if he's good, he'll play.

In college, I had a teammate who was openly gay. He was also an all-conference LT. You know who cared on our team? Nobody. He showed up on Saturday and beat the crap out of the other team. If you help the team win, no one is going to care. I say good for him. It shouldn't be a big deal. Just show up and play football. You can worry about the rest of your life when you're not on the field. As long as everyone is professional, there shouldn't be an issue.
  • Troy_PolamalyourassTroy_Polamalyourass February 10
    bddavidson said:

TheHuddle said:

lol u tell me that after an NFL player beats the crap out of ya for checking him out...

Living in CA all my life, it's inevitable that you will have some sort of relationship with a homosexual (work, school, students, family, acquaintances).

Trust me, homosexuals have little to no interest checking out heterosexuals...
    12 Team PPR Dynasty

QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE

Luck, Cutler
    Spiller, L Bell, Ridley, Michael, Tate, B Pierce, K Davis
    Calvin, AJ Green, Marshall, Britt, M Brown
    Gronk, Cameron
    1.1, 1.7, 1.11
  • tmoneytmoney February 10
    I don't think that he did this to get attention. I think rumors were starting to peek up and he wanted to control the situation. There are a good number of guys in the NFL that are gay, they just haven't made it public. This was going to happen whether it was Sam or someone else.
    chaindog35 said:

bddavidson said:

Whos_Ur_Doggie said:

TheHuddle said:

BDD, I don't think Mr. Sam is doing this for attention or trying to force any agenda on anyone. It sounds like scouts, his team, and many media members knew about his sexual orientation. He just wanted to come out on his terms and not be outed by an ambitious media member. In his interview with ESPN, he said he just wants to be a professional and play football.

Will this hurt his draft stock because of the potential distraction and chemistry issues? I think there is a good chance it will, but at the end of the day, if he's good, he'll play.

In college, I had a teammate who was openly gay. He was also an all-conference LT. You know who cared on our team? Nobody. He showed up on Saturday and beat the crap out of the other team. If you help the team win, no one is going to care. I say good for him. It shouldn't be a big deal. Just show up and play football. You can worry about the rest of your life when you're not on the field. As long as everyone is professional, there shouldn't be an issue.

i hear ya but if its about just playing football why even have the press conference then....he purposely drew attention to him and his lifestyle for no reason other than force us to react..i think we all can figure out sexual preference without a nation press conference needed ...what is mean to come out on ur terms? what is the point in that?
    DC Nation Moderator
    It's must be his agent maybe! Thinking of the bigger picture here! Endorsements any headlines is good headlines when you try to get your name out there. Like starting a fight in training came, you get the coaches attention because your standing up to the vets! Do anything to get your foot in the door!
    K Steven Hauschka

Swampies said:

The only problem I see is when Or if he gets cut! Will he or the media pull out his gay card, and say this is the reason why he's being cut! When we all know already it's whether you have enough talent or not!

yeah that could be a major problem and knowing this group who are very prone to suing and so called"coming out" leaves the door open for legal action.
    DC Nation Moderator
Add a Comment