Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• bddavidson February 13
  • bmxholden1 February 15
  • chaindog35 February 10
  • donvaughn February 10
  • dunlap13 February 10
  • emurrell17 February 10
  • FarFromHome February 12
  • Fighting_Amish February 12
  • Flipper February 11
  • fontaines February 13
  • haimez40 February 13
  • icemic February 15
  • JRMRRT February 15
  • k0wned February 11
  • MikeOcherts February 14
  • rabidbucfan February 12
  • Smitty February 11
  • Swampies February 13
  • TheHuddle February 12
  • tmoney February 13
  • Troy_Polamalyourass February 10
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie February 10
  • zeeshan2 February 13

Top Posters

• Whos_Ur_Doggie 12698
  • bddavidson 12293
  • JRMRRT 11354
  • Wutthecrapman 9976
  • BuckysGT 7762
  • LukeB5301 7601
  • Smitty 7162
  • garyzab 7109
  • TBL 4741
  • fontaines 4561
  • branch0095 4428

Who's Online (12)

• calcom 7:15PM
  • caldron37 7:16PM
  • Fitzismyguy 7:14PM
  • fontaines 7:17PM
  • GuinnessIsGoodForYou 7:17PM
  • JRMRRT 7:16PM
  • meast 7:17PM
  • PDTDT 7:17PM
  • Swampies 7:14PM
  • swiftymcgee58 7:14PM
  • tmoney 7:16PM
  • Troy_Polamalyourass 7:16PM
free fantasy football draftcalc access
Homepage
| Ranks | Projections | Articles | Upside Board | FAQs | Forums - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
Michael Sam’s has a lot of guts!
  • bddavidsonbddavidson February 11
    Swampies said:

This is all starting to sound like what I would imagine those who were set in their ways, way back when felt when Jackie Robinson came into baseball. A lot of people asking why and a lot of people saying yes it's about time!

The thing is there has always been gays in the nfl..but now all of a sudden they fill to need to advertise it for what ever reason idk ...
    DC Nation Moderator
  • tmoney February 11
    bddavidson said:

Swampies said:

This is all starting to sound like what I would imagine those who were set in their ways, way back when felt when Jackie Robinson came into baseball. A lot of people asking why and a lot of people saying yes it's about time!

The thing is there has always been gays in the nfl..but now all of a sudden they fill to need to advertise it for what ever reason idk ...

Perhaps they are tired of living a lie.
  • k0wnedk0wned February 11
    Fighting_Amish said:

k0wned said:

Fighting_Amish said:

Swampies said:

Right, because being born black is a choice.  

Being born gay isn't a choice either, and he is just comparing the social contexts at the times and how people the conversations were probably similar back then.

This whole being born gay thing is a crock, but I guess some in today's society listen to lady gaga to shape their beliefs.

First part of your statement is reasonable, there are studies that show correlation between genes and being homosexual, but it hasn't been completely proven. Would you agree that it at least is not something that a person has control over? The second part of your statement... Seriously?
  • Flipper February 11

I can’t imagine the courage it takes to reveal the fact that you were born with the attraction to the same sex (Just like the way we were born with the attraction to the opposite sex...we didn’t choose to be attracted to women...we just are).

I agree with tmoney, perhaps he didn’t want to live a lie anymore. He should have the right to not hide who he is attracted to. If we don’t have insight into what it is like to be a homosexual individual then it may be prudent not to jump to judgment. After all that is how discrimination starts.

Remember this is a big deal because of ignorant individuals who still discriminate (and in some cases assault) homosexuals just for being with someone of the same sex. When that behavior and discrimination stops then it wont be a big deal and there will be no need to discuss it.

I think we are a ways away from this world though because it is clear that many people are still very uncomfortable with the idea that some people are attracted to the same sex.

If you haven’t lived in someone’s shoes or felt the ridicule they receive then it may be unfair to comment on their motives and falsely put your own fears and insecurities on an entire group of people.

To call a group of people “this group” and then generalize their alleged tendencies is unfair and I am confident none of us would like it.

If someone said for example that Italian Americans tend to be in the mob by saying “you know what this group does...”, I would be offended. But I would feel more sorry for the individual who was taught this thought process.

Sams is courageous. Any person who stands up for something that will likely cause him ridicule and pain is courageous in my book.

• SmittySmitty February 11
    Just an FYI to all, respect each other's stances.. This is the kind of topic that can have some taking character shots at one another. Debate, free speech, let's keep that rolling here at DC, but respect stances even if you see things differently.
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder
  • Flipper February 11
    Fighting_Amish said:

k0wned said:

Fighting_Amish said:

Swampies said:

This whole being born gay thing is a crock, but I guess some in today's society listen to lady gaga to shape their beliefs.

I think we listen to scientific evidence. Do you have scientific evidence to support your "crock" theory? Can YOU choose right now who you will and will not be attracted to?
  • Flipper February 11
    Smitty said:

Just an FYI to all, respect each other's stances.. This is the kind of topic that can have some taking character shots at one another. Debate, free speech, let's keep that rolling here at DC, but respect stances even if you see things differently.

Agree 100% Smitty. Nothing wrong with a good clean discussion. Thank you for letting us do that here. 
  • SmittySmitty February 11
    No problem, my only request is that if you are subject to getting offended by this topic, on either side, just ignore the topic please. I'm tired of putting out fires with these topics. Please. Lol
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder
  • SwampiesSwampies February 11
    When edited quotes be very careful on who you leave in there as those are not my words!
    My league is a non PPR 12 person league having a roster of 19 players each. Active roster includes 1Qb 2Rb's 3Wr's 1Te 1K 1Def. Two weeks before draft we cut the roster down to 9 keepers. My team as of now:
    QB Russell Wilson, EJ Manuel, Josh Mckown
    RB Lamar Miller, Shane Vereen, Zac Stacy, Cierre Wood
    WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, Rueben Randle, Kenny Stills
    TE Z Ertz, M. Bennett, Delanie Walker
    DEF Kansas City, Cleveland
    K Steven Hauschka

(I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    Flipper said:

I can’t imagine the courage it takes to reveal the fact that you were born with the attraction to the same sex (Just like the way we were born with the attraction to the opposite sex...we didn’t choose to be attracted to women...we just are).

I agree with tmoney, perhaps he didn’t want to live a lie anymore. He should have the right to not hide who he is attracted to. If we don’t have insight into what it is like to be a homosexual individual then it may be prudent not to jump to judgment. After all that is how discrimination starts.

Remember this is a big deal because of ignorant individuals who still discriminate (and in some cases assault) homosexuals just for being with someone of the same sex. When that behavior and discrimination stops then it wont be a big deal and there will be no need to discuss it.

I think we are a ways away from this world though because it is clear that many people are still very uncomfortable with the idea that some people are attracted to the same sex.

If you haven’t lived in someone’s shoes or felt the ridicule they receive then it may be unfair to comment on their motives and falsely put your own fears and insecurities on an entire group of people.

To call a group of people “this group” and then generalize their alleged tendencies is unfair and I am confident none of us would like it.

If someone said for example that Italian Americans tend to be in the mob by saying “you know what this group does...”, I would be offended. But I would feel more sorry for the individual who was taught this thought process.

Sams is courageous. Any person who stands up for something that will likely cause him ridicule and pain is courageous in my book.

Understand ur stance but is it truly discrimating or that some people get tired of getting this stuff thrown on them it one right to believe what they do(wrong or right is for the individual to know) just cause some believe different than your opinion doesnt make wrong nor right? One sexual prefrence should be private imo. i dont go around fluanting hey i love pu#3y and forcing that on gays..also it is a choice with whom i hang with..i dont hang with drug addicts because it not a lifestyle i chose to have in my life..
    DC Nation Moderator
  • bmxholden1bmxholden1 February 11
    Agree Smitty,  and any argument I add is just part of a civil debate, but also I think in a debate we need to be free to be honest without the PC so here goes:

An argument that says "they are born that way, they can't help it" doesn't hold water.  For instance, a polygamist may say, can't help it, gotta have multiple Wives, was created that way.  Or a pedophile says "can't help it, born that way".  See, the argument "born that way" doesn't end the debate on any subject, because a lot of people are born to have some pretty perverted ways of looking at things and society must legislate to prevent certain behaviors, so the debate is not "they were born that way so it must be normal", the logical debate is, is it something they were born with or developed that needs to be corrected or accepted?  One thing is quite certain, the act of Sodomy is neither natural or normal, for gay or straight couples, that is a biological fact, so the attempt to normalize an abnormal act is just simply a perversion of truth.  It would be like arguing that cancer is good for you, it isn't, plain and simple.  

So frankly, I don't really care how you answer the question of whether homosexuality needs to be accepted or corrected, additionally gay people don't necessarily bother me, the same as if a straight couple was into some "alternative" behaviors, if they keep it to their private lives, but when they demand that I agree with them and fight for the right to propagandize my kids, well that's where I draw the line. The truth will never be discovered until we can have the debate without the new pressure to be Politically Correct, another way of saying, mind slaves.  
  • tmoney February 11
    Smitty said:

No problem, my only request is that if you are subject to getting offended by this topic, on either side, just ignore the topic please. I'm tired of putting out fires with these topics. Please. Lol

I am quite pleased with the way this discussion is being handled.  It's nice to see people being able to voice their position without being needlessly attacked.  (for the most part)  I think the various stances of us here in this forum on this topic is fairly representative of what a person like Sam might have to face in the NFL.  Some of his teammates will be strongly supportive, while others are going to voice their displeasure.  One thing I do know, if it wasn't Sam, it would have eventually been someone else.
  • k0wnedk0wned February 11
    bmxholden1 said:

Agree Smitty,  and any argument I add is just part of a civil debate, but also I think in a debate we need to be free to be honest without the PC so here goes:

An argument that says "they are born that way, they can't help it" doesn't hold water.  For instance, a polygamist may say, can't help it, gotta have multiple Wives, was created that way.  Or a pedophile says "can't help it, born that way".  See, the argument "born that way" doesn't end the debate on any subject, because a lot of people are born to have some pretty perverted ways of looking at things and society must legislate to prevent certain behaviors, so the debate is not "they were born that way so it must be normal", the logical debate is, is it something they were born with or developed that needs to be corrected or accepted?  One thing is quite certain, the act of Sodomy is neither natural or normal, for gay or straight couples, that is a biological fact, so the attempt to normalize an abnormal act is just simply a perversion of truth.  It would be like arguing that cancer is good for you, it isn't, plain and simple.  

So frankly, I don't really care how you answer the question of whether homosexuality needs to be accepted or corrected, additionally gay people don't necessarily bother me, the same as if a straight couple was into some "alternative" behaviors, if they keep it to their private lives, but when they demand that I agree with them and fight for the right to propagandize my kids, well that's where I draw the line. The truth will never be discovered until we can have the debate without the new pressure to be Politically Correct, another way of saying, mind slaves.  

Your pedophile comparison is not fair, something between two adults in which both consent and enjoy it is different than something between an adult and a child. Who decides what actions are right and wrong? If the only acceptable reason to have sex is to make children, then it would be obvious that gay sex, or sodomy between hetero couples would not be acceptable. But if you think it is fine to have sex only for pleasure, then it should not matter how it is done. This is why for me the biological process, not natural, etc argument is not valid. I agree the question is whether society should accept it or correct it, but for me there are no reasons to correct behavior that harms no one. All social intolerance does is make people who are gay feel uncomfortable being themselves, and make them feel that there is something wrong with them. Which in my opinion is not right.
  • fontainesfontaines February 11
    Very interesting. First off there is absolutely 100% nothing wrong with being gay.

I retract my previous comments as I thought he had a press conference to announce this. Turns out most the nfl scouts and GMs knew of this prior to the announcement. I think he did the right thing to make it public in that manner. He probably wasn't ashamed and maybe felt the suspicion would have been more of a distraction than just admitting it. Let's not forget the circus around T'eos thing last year. Honesty was probably the best policy.

I think my only concern now is from a sexual harassment perspective. Every locker room shower, butt slap, hug, td celebration, etc, could cause problems for these guys who are straight. The amount of physical contact in the sport will make this tough. People will feel uncomfortable, and it will be a distraction. I will Sam as well as his new teammates the best.

There's nothing wrong with being gay, but there also is something wrong, proven in our federal court system on all levels, with forcing someone to put up with uncomfortable sexual situations in the workplace. This absolutely IS comparable to Jackie Robinson because back then white people were never forced to interact with black people and segregation still existed. Will a gay man in the nfl force us to rethink our sexual harassment laws? Can you stick him in a different locker room because he's gay? Isn't that discrimination? There's just so many issues that need to be hammered out it will be interesting to see.
    DC Nation Forum Moderator
    Should we sperate them as we do men and womens teams? if not then should we just have one locker room for all athletes
    DC Nation Moderator
  • tmoney February 11
    I think this conversation would have a vastly different tone if it wasn't about a yet to be drafted prospect, but rather an already established NFL star.  Imagine if a player like Aaron Rodgers (not saying he's gay, just making a point) were to come out.  I think people would have a much easier time accepting it.
    tmoney said:

I think this conversation would have a vastly different tone if it wasn't about a yet to be drafted prospect, but rather an already established NFL star.  Imagine if a player like Aaron Rodgers (not saying he's gay, just making a point) were to come out.  I think people would have a much easier time accepting it.

I dont know about that T Money either one accept this or not this is a very heated subject regardless of the person involved just as race has always been..but glad this also has been very civil kudos DC Nation!
    DC Nation Moderator
  • tmoney February 11
    On a sidenote regard Sam, have you seen his backstory?  He saw his older brother shot dead.  2 of his sibling are currently in jail.  Another brother went missing in 1998.  He's the first in his family to go and graduate from college.  And apparently his father isn't too please about his recent announcement.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10439397/father-michael-sam-struggling-news-son-gay
  • SwampiesSwampies February 11
    bddavidson said:

..but glad this also has been very civil kudos DC Nation!

It doesn't surprise me after seeing the age poll! I agree though! =D>
    My league is a non PPR 12 person league having a roster of 19 players each. Active roster includes 1Qb 2Rb's 3Wr's 1Te 1K 1Def. Two weeks before draft we cut the roster down to 9 keepers. My team as of now:
    QB Russell Wilson, EJ Manuel, Josh Mckown
    RB Lamar Miller, Shane Vereen, Zac Stacy, Cierre Wood
    WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon, Andre Johnson, Rueben Randle, Kenny Stills
    TE Z Ertz, M. Bennett, Delanie Walker
    DEF Kansas City, Cleveland
    K Steven Hauschka

(I'm not a expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
Add a Comment