fantasy football forums

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Apply for Membership

In this Discussion

• bddavidson June 26
  • DAXstatic June 25
  • DefiantVitreous June 26
  • donvaughn June 26
  • emurrell17 June 26
  • fontaines June 24
  • footballjunkie June 26
  • george June 26
  • Ipkiss June 24
  • JRMRRT June 26
  • LukeB5301 June 26
  • Reisssox June 25
  • Smitty 10:25AM
  • Swampies 9:13AM
  • SweetLew June 26
  • TheHuddle June 26
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie June 24
  • Wutthecrapman June 26

Top Posters

• bddavidson 13986
  • Whos_Ur_Doggie 13665
  • JRMRRT 13541
  • Wutthecrapman 10715
  • LukeB5301 8920
  • Smitty 8616
  • BuckysGT 8275
  • garyzab 7118
  • branch0095 5541
  • TBL 5405
  • fontaines 5323

Who's Online (5)

• electricrelish 8:16PM
  • greatprodigy 8:13PM
  • JRMRRT 8:15PM
  • Swampies 8:16PM
  • TexasBornCowboysFan 8:14PM

If you are already a DraftCalc Subscriber, hang tight in terms of getting access to FFStarters content... that is in the works. We will keep you posted shortly!

Our Breaking News Wire is up!

Homepage | Ranks | News | Projections | Articles | Sims | Calcs | Upside Board | FAQs | Forums - [ Start A New Discussion ]
Need a forum Invite?
NEWS: Brandin Cooks to spend two weeks this Summer working out with Drew Brees?
  • LukeB5301LukeB5301 June 25
    Haven't been a fan of cooks, but his situation is good. That said I still don't have huge expectations for him but seeing as he feel to me at 1.9 in my 2qb league i guess I hopeim wrong
    My 2014 Predictions:
    [ ] Jordan Matthews Will Win OROY(June 5th)
  • DefiantVitreous June 25
    This smells just like Tavon Austin, no?  Predicting 80/1100/7 or 85/1000/5 and the like for Cooks is crazy talk.  Never going to happen.  It's a lot easier for Sproles to get open while he's lining up in the backfield.  Cooks may line up in the backfield on occasion but not nearly as often as Sproles did.  Cooks is going to get checked at the LoS by NFL DB's and he's going to have trouble getting off the line.  With NO openly stating that they are going to run the ball much more often and Graham/Colston taking away 90% of the red zone looks a more reasonable projection is something along the line of 45-55/750/4. 
  • Wutthecrapman June 25
    Defiant, even a 50 rec. 750 yard and 4 TD season is not horrible for a rookie. Its actually decent. I'd be content with that also.

Sure foreshadowing a 75/1000/7TD outing would be awesome, it's still not out of the question considering Lance Moore is also gone. Everyone thinks Cooks will be the guy to fill the Sproles role. To me, he looks more like the Moore replacement. I won't lose any sleep if Cooks sees the backfield 10 times tops. He's meant to be the slot guy, best fit there (though he can be shifted). Colston will be force fed, but he's on the downward spiral also. This was a nice draft pick.

"I'm like birth control. You have to believe in me. Like birth control, 99.9 percent of the time I'm going to come through for you." - David Wilson
    DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • emurrell17 June 25
    DefiantVitreous said:

This smells just like Tavon Austin, no?  Predicting 80/1100/7 or 85/1000/5 and the like for Cooks is crazy talk.  Never going to happen.  It's a lot easier for Sproles to get open while he's lining up in the backfield.  Cooks may line up in the backfield on occasion but not nearly as often as Sproles did.  Cooks is going to get checked at the LoS by NFL DB's and he's going to have trouble getting off the line.  With NO openly stating that they are going to run the ball much more often and Graham/Colston taking away 90% of the red zone looks a more reasonable projection is something along the line of 45-55/750/4. 

I would love for you to go back and watch some tape of tavon...and then watch some tape of cooks. Then look at their height difference...and then notice which one attacks then ball and how huge of a difference that makes then get back to me.

I NEVER liked tavon. He's a gadget. He plays tentatively and he is not a good wr because of it. He is cordarelle Patterson without the size and with out the balls to go up for a ball and make a play. I was baffled when he was selected before cordarelle.

Cooks is a completely different animal...in a completely better situation.
    Bold Predictions:
    Cordarelle Patterson replaces Josh Gordon in the top 5 WR group.
    (Julio, Calvin, AJG, CP, and Dez)

Andre Williams proves himself to be the best RB in this class, by having the most productive rookie season of all the rbs.
  • donvaughndonvaughn June 25
    DefiantVitreous said:

I wouldn't go as far as calling my prediction crazy or never going to happen. I agree those numbers are optimistic. I came up with that number based on 5 catches a game. I think he'll gave his 2-3 catch games, but also his 7-8 catch games. I don't compare him to Tavon. 190 lbs vs 175 lbs and he played in STL vs Cooks in NO. I don't worry about him being jammed at the line because I think they'll move him all over and put him in motion often. I think he's gonna have a lot of short catches and screen passes and I think he breaks a handful of them for 50+yds to the house, not to mention a couple reverses. That's how I built in the yardage and end zone spike. He's not a red zone threat, but with his speed, I can see Brees hitting him on crossing routes with the safeties focused on Graham at least a few times. So I think with Sproles and Lance Moore's targets up for grabs,  PT already accounting for over 70 catches last year, with Ingram and Krob not big threats catching passes, and all the reasons I mentioned earlier, I can see him getting enough targets to get 80 receptions. Perhaps a bold prediction, but that was my logic.
  • JRMRRTJRMRRT June 25
    Tavon plays on the Rams...Cooks is a Saint and Drew Brees is his QB. Situation is huge.

JRMRRT said:

Tavon plays on the Rams...Cooks is a Saint and Drew Brees is his QB. Situation is huge.

STL has no offensive weapons and has to pass to come from behind in games.  There are a million weapons in NO, they are going to run the ball more and he's a rookie.  If the over/under on receptions for Cooks is 70, I'll take the under every day of the week. 
  • Wutthecrapman June 25
    DefiantVitreous said:

JRMRRT said:

STL has no offensive weapons and has to pass to come from behind in games.  There are a million weapons in NO, they are going to run the ball more and he's a rookie.  If the over/under on receptions for Cooks is 70, I'll take the under every day of the week. 

So 69?

"I'm like birth control. You have to believe in me. Like birth control, 99.9 percent of the time I'm going to come through for you." - David Wilson
    DC Nation Forum Moderator
  • JRMRRTJRMRRT June 25

STL has no offensive weapons and has to pass to come from behind in games

2 words...DREW BREES...He is why you cant compare Tavon to Cooks. And regardless of what you said about playing from behind the Rams dont throw the ball more than the Saints. 

NO was #2 in the league last year and had 651 attempts, 446 completions and 4918 yards
    Stl was #27 last yeay with only 506 attempts and only 301 completions and 3125 yards.

In 2012 NO was #1 and Stl was #18

You should get some numbers or facts if youre going to make statements like that.

• TheHuddleTheHuddle June 25
    New Orleans always states they will run more. Which is always false. Brees is the qb & had 446 completions last year. Cooks could definitely get 70.
    NO was #4 last year.  Man, if we only played fantasy football based on last years stats... 

If Brees is the difference then why has there never been a fantasy relevant WR not named Colston?  Graham doesn't count.  And to be clear I'm not saying that STL is going to throw more than NO.  I'm just saying that a healthy Bradford is going to allow STL to throw much more than they did in 2013 and NO is going to throw much less.  Their attempts are going to be closer than you think.  NO may be around #10 and STL around #15.  That's pretty damn close (12 attempts based on last years numbers).  The bottom line is that you are going to be butt hurt if you're expecting Brandin Cooks to come in, as a rookie and go for an 80/1100/7 line.  I'll eat Smitty's shorts if that happens.

• JRMRRTJRMRRT June 25
    DefiantVitreous said:

I'm just saying that a healthy Bradford is going to allow STL to throw much more than they did in 2013 and NO is going to throw much less.  

I knew you were going to say that which is why I mentioned 2012 numbers with a healthy Bradford. 332 completions and only 557 attempts.

NO will not throw less. Thats why I posted a link. Im showing facts youre just throwing stuff out there with nothing to back it up.
    2013 - #2 661 attempts
    2012 - #1 671 attempts
    2011 - #1 662 attempts
    2010 - #3 661 attempts

• emurrell17 June 25
    Hahahaha so the rams' plethora of great wrs is the difference maker for you??

Man if we only played fantasy football based off of past wr stats.
    Bold Predictions:
    Cordarelle Patterson replaces Josh Gordon in the top 5 WR group.
    (Julio, Calvin, AJG, CP, and Dez)

Andre Williams proves himself to be the best RB in this class, by having the most productive rookie season of all the rbs.

JRMRRT said:

DefiantVitreous said:

I'm just saying that a healthy Bradford is going to allow STL to throw much more than they did in 2013 and NO is going to throw much less.  

I knew you were going to say that which is why I mentioned 2012 numbers with a healthy Bradford. 332 completions and only 557 attempts.

NO will not throw less. Thats why I posted a link. Im showing facts youre just throwing stuff out there with nothing to back it up.
    2013 - #2 661 attempts
    2012 - #1 671 attempts
    2011 - #1 662 attempts
    2010 - #3 661 attempts

Oh yeah!  Well, STL was #1 in passing attempts in 2001 while the Saints were #19!

http://www.footballdb.com/stats.html?mode=P&yr=2001&lg=NFL&conf=

• DefiantVitreous
    emurrell17 said:

Hahahaha so the rams' plethora of great wrs is the difference maker for you??

Man if we only played fantasy football based off of past wr stats.

I think you have missed the point.  The contention was that Drew Brees is the difference maker.  My rebuttal was that Drew Brees didn't do anything for any WR not named Marques Colston and therefore while Brees is an all-time NFL QB, that doesn't necessarily mean that a rookie slot WR is all of a sudden going to produce numbers that no WR, not named Colston, has been able to do since Joe Horn in 2004.
  • SmittySmitty June 25
    Pulling things back on course here, I think Cooks is going to be one of those guys people either fully believe in or they don't. Like Tavon Austin. 

But, I think a Keenan Allen like season out of Cooks out of a rookie isn't out of the question at all. It certainly isn't a lock, though, and I don't think anyone here would say it's a lock without room for a different outcome. This is fantasy, anything can happen, anyone can get hurt. NO could lose all it's top targets and Cooks gets tons more than expected. Or, Cooks could get hurt. 

Bottom line is, he is super talented with size questions just like Austin. Some will believe, some wont, doesn't make anyone wrong at this stage, so it's strange to see the debate head in the direction like one side knows the end result already. It's fantasy, anything can go down, and some rookies shine as rookies, some WRS (even Dez) take the 2-3 years to get to their elite point.
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder
  • JRMRRTJRMRRT June 25
    Cool, Brees and Bradford werent the QBs and Payton wasnt the Saints coach in 2001 soooo..................The last 4 years with Brees and Payton and his system the Saints have been a top 3 passing team and there is not one fact or stat that would make anyone think that that wont be any different this year. If you can give me a credible (citing a top source by name of someone high in the Saints organization) fact or a link to something youve read that says anything to the contrary Id love to read it.

• donvaughndonvaughn June 25
    Tavon and STL have nothing to do with the convo. It's not a just comparison imo. NO throws. Payton throws. Brees throws. There's chatter that they could become more of a running team, but until that happens, I think they keep the ball in their best players hands and that's Brees. I don't think Payton traded up in the 1st rd for a guy he wants to be a gadget player. I'm not sure if there's any cbs, that can keep up with a WR who runs a 4.33, on turf, with the most accurate passer in the NFL hitting him with pin point accuracy. Cooks has good and big hands. I think everything is ripe for him to maximize his targets.
  • georgegeorge June 25
    Will Cook replace Sproles numbers for last year? 53 rushing attempts for 220 yards and 71 receptions for 604 yards and 2 TD's.

• SmittySmitty June 25
    george said:

Will Cook replace Sproles numbers for last year? 53 rushing attempts for 220 yards and 71 receptions for 604 yards and 2 TD's.

No, we all hope that goes to Khiry Robinson, right?
    - Smitty | Owner/Founder
Add a Comment